"'And you've quite given [writing] up?' asked Christine.
'Not altogether...but I'm writing living epistles now,' said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co."
- Anne of Ingleside, L.M. Montgomery


6.02.2011

My Letter to My Kids Part 9

Continued...

So, back to the original question, what do I most want to tell my kids in my letter to them? I think it’s something like this:
          Dear B, Dear J,
          I cannot begin to describe just how much you mean to me. I love you more than I will ever be able to tell you. You have brought me so much joy and I am so glad that I get to be your mommy.
          There are so many things I want for you, but mostly what I want is for you to be truly happy. You were created by the one and only God. He knows everything about you. He sees the best in you and the worst in you. He loves you more than any person will ever love you and he wants you to love him too. My great hope for your lives in that you will follow that God. Let him destroy the worst parts of you until you become the best versions of yourselves. The road will be long, difficult and painful, but the joy and peace you find will overwhelm you and make even the hardest parts of life beautiful.
          I hope that you remember that there is no problem too big or too small for God to handle. When life is too much and your problems surround you, give them all to God. And never forget that every good thing comes from God. Give thanks to him for all of it. Remember that every human being is God’s beloved creation and treat them with love and respect.
          I know that as you grow you and I will have our share of disagreements. And we’ll each make mistakes that hurt each other. For the mistakes that you make I will do my best to offer you love and forgiveness. Know that when I punish you I am trying to do all I can to help you on the road to becoming who you are created to be. And when the mistake is mine, I hope you remember that I never claim to be perfect and that I need love and forgiveness too.
          Stay close to God, never stop praying, and take the Bible for the wonderful gift it is. And above all else, know that no matter what happens, God loves you. When it seems like you are so bad that no one could love you, God loves you. When you are disappointed in yourself and the choices you’ve made, God loves you. When it seems like everything goes wrong for you and life is just too hard, God loves you. Let his love carry you through the worst times and into the great things I know he has in store for you.
          Love,
          Your Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment