"'And you've quite given [writing] up?' asked Christine.
'Not altogether...but I'm writing living epistles now,' said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co."
- Anne of Ingleside, L.M. Montgomery


1.08.2012

The Greatest Gift

"Mom! Look! There's a present hanging on the tree!"

I hadn't really expected him to find it yet.  It was tucked in the branches and I thought we'd have to help them hunt.  I wrapped the gift the night before.  The box holds the baby Jesus from the kids' nativity.  On Christmas morning we'll look for that present first.  We'll unwrap it and hear the story and play with the nativity.

I tell him, "That's a very special present.  It's the greatest gift you can ever imagine."

His eyes grow wide with excitement and the knowledge of something I'm not sure I grasp to this day. "Mom, God must be in that box!"

I gave him a big smile and a big hug and we talked about how Jesus really is the best gift.

Later as I retold that story to his father, the tears filled my eyes.  What wisdom from such a little one.  This child has big hopes of toys and special blankets and flashlights.  He knows what he wants and he is all eager anticipation to find out what's under that tree.  Not a morning goes by that he doesn't check his stocking to see if it's been filled. 

And yet, with all of the stuff he wants, he knows.  He knows without blinking an eye that the greatest gift imaginable isn't that Batman cave he really wants or a Transformer.  He doesn't pause for even a second before proclaiming that the greatest gift he can imagine is God himself - Emmanuel.

God, grant that I may gain that insight and that he will keep that knowledge close to his heart as he grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment