"'And you've quite given [writing] up?' asked Christine.
'Not altogether...but I'm writing living epistles now,' said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co."
- Anne of Ingleside, L.M. Montgomery


1.23.2012

Over and Over Again


This list is so repetitious.  Time and again I find myself writing the same thanks.  Nearly every morning those cold little toes climb into bed with us and I can't help but be thankful.  Each time I look out my windows I find the beauty staggering and I must give thanks. 

The thing is, I know that the day will come when those little ones won't come running and clambering into our bed.  In a few months tall rows of corn will prevent us seeing for miles.  I know there will be a time when the gifts I receive in this season will come to an end.  I am confident that they will be replaced by other gifts - other glimpses of God's goodness specific to the seasons that lay ahead.  Still, it's bittersweet to think that these days won't last forever. 

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  John 10:10b

I have to wonder if this practice of thanksgiving isn't part of the key to recieving that full measure of life.  Maybe, in part Jesus gives us life abundant and joy to the full when he awakens us to the beauty of the moment and inspires the giving of thanks.  We stop to fully recieve the gift, to express gratitude for each evidence of God's abundant love for us.  And maybe it's a little more ok, a little less bittersweet to realize that this too - even these perfect little moments - will pass, because by stopping to offer back our thanks we experience so much more of the gift than if we just let the moment pass.  And because we know with each sign of God's love that gifts beyond imagine are heading our way.

Thank you, God, for...
68.  The water dripping like diamonds  in the sun from the leaky faucet.
69.  A husband who points out leaky faucet diamonds to me.
70.  Beautiful country views out of every window.
71.  Boys climbing in bed in the morning to cuddle.
72.  Such soft little cheeks to nuzzle & kiss.
73.  Fog rolling over empty fields.
74.  Seriously - these views! Breathtaking beauty with every glimpse out the window.
75.  Plans for Spring and seed cataloges.
76.  Kisses on top of her two-week-old head - my newborn niece.
77.  The cradle in our room, full of sweet little things for our newest little love.
78.  Brothers giving hugs.
79.  Cap's eyes sparkling as he laughs.
80.  Skidamarink just wanting to sit together.
81.  The chance to wash the tomato soup from their faces - everyday priviledge.
82.  Time to sit and talk at the table.
83.  An early morning conversation with my Grandpa.
84.  Sunlight slanting across the yard.
85.  Time alone to plan for my loves.
86.  A little man so happy to see me.
87.  Chasing him to wash the sticky face and collapsing in giggles.
88.  Cap catching me by surprise from his hiding place and even more giggles.
89.  Pink, purple, blue & white mingled in the sky.
90.  That they come to me for comfort.
91.  The joy of being held close.
92.  That I am loved.
93.  My amazing Grandmother.
94.  Rest at the end of the day when all the work is done.
95.  Good conversations with good friends.
96.  Car ride conversation.
97.  The reminder that Jesus is all we need.
98.  Stopping to read words I normally would skim.
99.  Time spent just with Skid.
100.  A boy who seeks out ways to bless others.
101.  Work to do in preparation for our baby girl.
102.  Jabs in the ribs reminding me she's here.
103.  That he takes care of me when I don't feel well.
104.  Him paying attention to things he doesn't care about just to bless me.
105.  The reminder that your generosity knows no limits - we will always have more than enough.
106.  His prayers for his brother's health and safety.
107.  His reliance on the truth of the resurrection.
108.  That I can give thanks over and over for the exact same things.
109.  That our boys are such good friends.
110.  The overwhelming excitement that she will be here so soon - just 13 more weeks!
111.  The scratchy-soft feling of my great-great-grandma's blanket.
112.  A warm and cozy bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment