"'And you've quite given [writing] up?' asked Christine.
'Not altogether...but I'm writing living epistles now,' said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co."
- Anne of Ingleside, L.M. Montgomery


1.08.2012

Letter Xx

Another post from the draft folder.  I think I kept is as a draft because I was going to add pictures, but I never did.  At this point I think I'll go ahead and post so the record of what we did is visible even if there are no pretty pictures.  This was our last week of our homeschool experiment before the pre-school year began.  I contemplated keeping up with these materials, but decided to spare Cap and let his at-home learning be unstructured while he was in school.

We are currently using a combination of You Can Read and Raising Rockstars, plus whatever else we stumble across. :)

Captain Silly Wiggles is currently 4 years & 1 month old.
Raising Rock Stars


Our learning this week was centered around Matthew 18:3:
eXcept you be converted 
and become as little children,
you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.

We spent lots of time talking about how we need to trust Jesus to take care of us just like little kids trust their parents to take care of them.  We also talked about how it's not the good things we do that let us live in relationship and in eternity with God.  Rather, our trust in him - our faith - is the most important thing.

Song: Jesus Loves the Little Children & Jesus Loves Me 
Letter: Xx
Number: 7
Sight words: I, can, you, me, little
Sight reader: Jesus Loves Little Children
(The last page of the sight reader says, "Jesus loves me!" and has a picture of Cap.  He loves reading it and his smile gets bigger and bigger as he nears the end of the book. :)

On Monday we...
1. ...did the Getting Ready for Xx worksheet.

2. ...worked on his cutting worksheet.  He cut a diagonal line, pretending to make a bear sled down a snowy hill.

3. ...traced the Xx's on the RRSP worksheets.  He flew through all of the pages making perfect X's.  Improvement!

4. ...did the Color by Word YCR worksheet.  He did this one without any prompting while I stepped out of the room.  I was surprised to walk back in to see the page completed (though he didn't color the whole thing - just the words).

5. ...played sight word bingo.  He didn't want to follow the rules of the game at first, preferring to mark any word he wanted rather than the words I was calling out.  We took a short break and he came back excited to play.  This is one of his favorites.

On Wednesday we...
1. ...worked on vocab cards.  He put the paper on his desk and left the markers in the workbox.  I asked him if he wanted to trace the Xs.  He looked at me incredulously and said, "What do you want me to do, mom, color with my fingers?"  Which made me laugh (he sounded so much like his dad) and we were off on a 10 minute silly spiral which ended in a game of tag.


2. ...took a looooong break and came back to our boxes after dinner and a whole lot of playing outside.

3. ...worked on our vocab cards.  This time he dove right in without too much silliness.  He traced the Xs. While he traced we said the words together and searched YouTube for a video on x-ray fish.  Then he very carefully cut the cards apart.

4...put together the word puzzles.  

5. ...wrote some words on the dry erase board.  First I wrote the letters of his sight words in different orders and he erased each wrong word and read the correct word (anc, cna, can).  Then I wrote all of the words he can read on the board and he erased the word as I called it out.  We are working on and & can - he gets those two mixed up very regularly.  Finally, he wanted a turn with the markers.  He decided to draw a "pointy hat and a pony with it's head down".

6. ...did the trace the lines page.  His marker was a car that was zooming down the road.  I love that he's having fun and incorporating pretend play with something that, 2.5 months ago was completely frustrating for him.

7. ...did the RRSP craft.  He was so proud of himself for cutting out a circle!

8. ...had a flashlight number scavenger hunt.  I wrote numbers on sticky notes and stuck them on the wall and the window.  He came in with his lantern and shined the light on the correct number.  I got this idea from Totally Tots.

On Friday we...
1. ...colored the verse.

2. ...did the crazy fonts page.

3. ...built sight words with Duplo blocks.

4. ...wrote a story together.

5. ...played veterinarian with some homemade x-rays.

 


1+1+1=1
All of our printables this week came were developed by Carisa at 1+1+1=1. Visit her website for all kids of wonderful resources. You can find her letter Xx printables here and You Can Read Unit 2 here.


The cutting workbook we used is called I Can Cut by School Specialty Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment