"'And you've quite given [writing] up?' asked Christine.
'Not altogether...but I'm writing living epistles now,' said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co."
- Anne of Ingleside, L.M. Montgomery


1.08.2012

Oh Boy! July 10-16

I've been going through and editing some old posts tonight and I discovered this one in the drafts pile.  Last July I thought it would be a good idea to write some blogs on the day-to-day happenings in our household.  I thought I would title the posts "Oh Boy!".  It seemed clever in that I was sure I was destined to be surrounded by boys all of my days.  Now that our little girl is on the way, I guess I'll have to come up with a new name.

July 13:  The highlight of today was root beer floats.  It seems Captain Silly Wiggles has decided that root beer is a necessity following baseball.  Accordingly, on our way home for practice he asked for root beer.  We stopped at the store and let Cap figure out which bottle was the root beer (Me: "What two letters together make the sound oo?" Cap: "O" Me:  "Can you find the root beer?" he grabbed it off the shelf, picked up some ice cream and we were off.  Initially he wasn't very fond of the idea of ice cream in his root beer.  He quickly decided it was ok.  Skidamarink on the other hand was very upset when the root beer was gone but the ice cream remained.  Cap brought a spoon and a crisis was averted.

Apparently Cap has observed that toads like to hide in the mud.  Tonight he was playing with a toad in the backyard.  When it was time to let the little guy go, Cap found a dirt clod and was chasing the toad around the yard trying to cover him up with the dirt clod.

July 14:  Generally we had a rough day today.  Captain Silly Wiggles woke up on the wrong side of the bed and was just grouchy all day long. (I need to find a copy of Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!)  The one nice little segment of our day came when he sat down next to me and looked at the window.  He found some birds and watched them for awhile - telling me all about robins and how they are blue with orange bellies.  Then he said, "Mom,  I wish we had a bird feeder."  So we did some research together on homemade bird feeders, he picked out the one he liked best, and we headed to the store to buy some bird seed.  A few hours later and we have two bird feeders in the trees and Cap went back to being grumpy.  :P

I continue to be blown away by all of the spontaneous lessons.  After a long nap, Cap woke up in a much better mood.  He started talking about fires and I said, "What would you do if there was a fire?" He told me he would hide, so we spent some time talking about fire safety.  We designated a safe spot, started working on a fire escape plan and talked about staying low to the ground, testing handles, and calling 911.  We spent some time playing on www.firesafety.gov/kids.  It's amazing how motivated kids can be to learn.  So often, they just need some resourcing.

No comments:

Post a Comment