"'And you've quite given [writing] up?' asked Christine.
'Not altogether...but I'm writing living epistles now,' said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co."
- Anne of Ingleside, L.M. Montgomery


7.11.2011

Letter Hh

Lots of blog posts today as I try to catch up on all the material I didn't post over the last 4 weeks. Here we go... :)

Captain Silly Wiggles is currently 4 years old.
Raising Rock Stars


Our learning this week was centered around Exodus 20:12:
Honor your father and your mother.
We talked about how honoring mom & dad means more than just doing what we say, but doing it with a good attitude.  The first couple of weeks he talked a lot about the verses outside of "school" time.  He was regularly asking if a given behavior was "letting his light shine" or following God's rules.  He hasn't talked as much about this one.  Maybe it's less palatable? ;)  

Song: "Listen Little Ducklings" along with the Veggie Tales movie, Pistachio
Letter: Hh
Number: 3 
Sight Word: and

Unlike the previous weeks, he wasn't really enjoying the sight reader.  He read it once or twice, but didn't ask for it like before.  That's ok, though. It really surprises me that he's taking such an interest in reading right now. We'll go at his pace.

On Monday we...
1. ...did the Getting Ready for Hh worksheet.

2. ...practiced our H's. He was a little antsy and didn't want to do it, so we compromised and he traced 3.

3. ...did a cutting worksheet.  This time it was a tiger hiding in grass. So cool!

4. ...drove cars on the letter H.  I can't remember where I found this one. I know I saw the idea at a couple of sites, but I've been doing so much homeschool searching lately that I'm having trouble keeping it all straight.  I'll do more checking and see if I can track down a site.  Anyway, I cut an H out of cardstock, added start and finish lines and yellow stripes.  He rolled Lightning on a silver stamp pad and raced around the H being careful to travel in the correct order.  He loved it!

5. ...played in the bean tub with Skidamarink.  It's full of red beans, pinto beans and dried peas. Plus I added in some letters and scoops.  I made this last year when Cap kept deciding to clean out my cabinets by dumping stuff on the floor and playing in the mess.  

On Wednesday we...
1. ...did an H for H activity.  He was excited to make a heart with handprints for Aunt Heather. Then, I helped him write his name on the heart.

2. ...worked on vocabulary cards. He traced the letters this time and wanted to color!  As he traced we  said the words together, emphasizing the H sound and then he cut them out. He's getting better at cutting. He thinks it's fun to cut slowly until he gets to the end and then cut as fast as he can!

3. ...traced the Hh on the Verse page.  Once again, he wanted to draw people from his letters.  He made a man with arms, legs and a face whom he named "David H".

4...made some playdough words. We got these from the You Can Read materials at 1+1+1=1.  I've decided to work more on sight words since that seems to be Cap's favorite part of this whole endeavor. :) We combined words and small objects to form sentences he could read...which he didn't care about. At all.  Preschoolers are so funny! At least he learned to roll the dough between his hands to make snakes!

5. ... played in the beans some more.

On Friday we...
1. ...colored the verse.  He spent an insane amount of time coloring and then decided it would be fun to scribble all over it in pencil. 

2. ...cut out the verse and taped it together.

3. ...did the "Honor your Father and Mother" craft.  

4. ...played in the beans some more and filled out his certificate.

I know we did much more this week, but I lost my lesson plan paper in the shuffle of trying to clean out closets and reorganize the house. Overall the week was absolutely wonderful, even if Cap didn't care about the stuff I was most excited about.  He was eager to "do school" each day.  In fact, he wanted to do it for so long that we needed to take breaks in the middle. :)

1+1+1=1
All of our printables this week came were developed by Carisa at 1+1+1=1. Visit her website for all kids of wonderful resources. You can find her letter Hh printables here: Hh.


The cutting workbook we used is called I Can Cut by School Specialty Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment