"'And you've quite given [writing] up?' asked Christine.
'Not altogether...but I'm writing living epistles now,' said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co."
- Anne of Ingleside, L.M. Montgomery


7.11.2011

Letter Ii

And another post for today.  I was reluctant to blog about our preschool time after the pictures from the first week took so long to upload.  I guess I've learned my lesson: lower res. pictures and more frequent posting! :)


While Cap still needs a lot of the material in the RRSP program (he still gets confused over a couple letters, has little writing practice, needs to learn beginning sounds) he's really excited about learning to read.  Since he's wanting to prolong our time each day anyway, I thought we would try adding more boxes and mixing in the You Can Read program in with the RRSP stuff we are already doing.  You Can Read is made up of sight words and the more challenging material in YCR is motivating him to learn some of the more beginning stuff. Once again, you can find it all at 1+1+1=1. Can't beat fantastic materials that are free! :)

Captain Silly Wiggles is currently 4 years old.
Raising Rock Stars


Our learning this week was centered around Philippians 4:13:
I can do all things 
through Christ who 
strengthens me.
What an excellent verse for the Captain - his favorite phrase is, "I Can't!"

Song: I Can Do Everything by GodRocks! 
(wonderful scripture memorization resource. 
 In fact, when I ask Ben to tell me this verse he breaks out into song!)
Letter: Ii
Number: 4
Sight words: a, see, the, and, can

Cap dove right back in with the sight reader books today - usually wanting to read the ones from past weeks as well! 

On Monday we...
1. ...did the Getting Ready for Ii worksheet. He had fun tracing some slow and some fast.  Ironically, the ones he traced quickly are the straightest.  Skidamarink got ahold of the paper later and scribbled - he did intentionally match colors, though!

2. ...worked on his cutting worksheet

3. ...played clothespin ABCs.  I found this game at 1+1+1=1, printed it out, and laminated it.  I hot-glued some old Cars toys on to clothespins.  Both boys think it is the coolest thing ever!  In fact, it's gotten so much use I've already had to reattach the cars several times.  You can find it the game here

4. ...worked on word puzzles from You Can Read.

5. ...traced lots of letter Ii's.  He wanted them to have long tops and bottoms and decided to color in all of the letters in the verse.  He was so proud of his accomplishments.  We combined the two letter tracing worksheets into more boxes to make room for some boxes to hold You Can Read materials.

6. ...made a Genesis collage. I cut out various pictures of creation and taped a piece of contact paper to the window.  He placed the items on the paper while we listened to the creation story on The Bible Experience CDs.

7. ...worked a Thomas the Train puzzle.


On Wednesday we...
1. ...worked on vocab cards, with a little break for milk in the middle. He happily traced all of the I's and cut them out very neatly. He's improving so quickly!

2. ...well....we were intending to do an I for I activity, but couldn't come up with anyone we knew who started with I except for a friend from preschool who we don't have any contact info for.  So, we just skipped that one.  Maybe we'll make something for her before school starts in the fall?

3. ...played a counting/number recognition game.  Can you guess where it came from? Carisa at 1+1+1=1 is amazing!  Once again, this one was a hit with Cap.  You can find the game here.

4...made playdough words (YCR). We were trying to build sentences, but it was just too much.  I think we'll go down to two words a week for playdough time.

5. ...colored the verse, which subsequently got ripped...

6. ...put together a video for the What's in the Bible video contest. I blogged our entry here: We're Finalists! (We didn't win, but we will be getting a personalized video message from the WITB crew!) Cap especially loved the stick puppets, which you can download on the What's in the Bible page.

7. ...did the Thomas puzzle again.

On Thursday we...
1. ...did the mixed up fonts worksheet from YCR. He blew me away with how easily he completed it!

2. ...played sight word Bingo. Another hit! (YCR)
Hmm...as I look at his shirt, this probably happened on Wednesday to take the place of the I-I activity... Oh well!

3. ...cut out and taped together his verse. Finally, it fits as a crown! :)

4. ...did the strong man craft. I don't have any pictures because he was getting tired and didn't want to do any more.  Then, while I was putting all of the supplies away he decided to finish it up.

We had a few more boxes that we didn't do.  He didn't feel like doing much on Friday (although he was eager to start in the morning).  I didn't push it.  The stuff we didn't do was egg letter matching, write a story together, and play with his Noah toys on the water table. We can do it another time. :) Once again it was a very good week.  I'm blown away by how quickly he's soaking up information and asking for more!


1+1+1=1
All of our printables this week came were developed by Carisa at 1+1+1=1. Visit her website for all kids of wonderful resources. You can find her letter Ii printables here and You Can Read Unit 1 here.


The cutting workbook we used is called I Can Cut by School Specialty Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment